Engineering Manager - Core Tribe
At Sky Betting & Gaming we don't have team Teams we have Tribes. Each Tribe is made up of small, agile and autonomous squads who work collaboratively with a shared purpose. So whether you join our Bet Tribe, Early Careers Tribe or anything in between, you will work with a group of people with raw energy, natural talent, and the kind of spirit that helps us think big, act bold, and change the game. It all means that we've created the kind of workplace that wins awards such as a place on the prestigious list of Sunday Times 100 Best Companies to Work For. An Engineering Manager is responsible for a group of up to 20-30 software engineers of various experience levels and will usually have up to 7 direct reports consisting of Principal Engineers (technical leaders) and Lead Engineers (technical people managers). The role reports into a Head of Engineering alongside other Engineering Managers, Test Managers and Design/UX Managers. The role is broadly responsible for both people management for this team, and the "how" we deliver against our business goals from an in-house software engineering perspective. You must be a confident technical leader with experience in an evolving and dynamic web-scale environment under an agile DevOps ethos where operational performance is a significant part of engineering best practice. Engineering People Management
Create An Sustainable & Scalable Engineering Delivery Pipeline Champion Quality and Continuous Improvement Be a Technical Leader Key Characteristics and Experience Experience of leading engineering teams in an evolving and dynamic environment, ideally in online betting & gaming or similar web-scale industry where software is always-on, and customer experience is always more than a consideration A committed team player who demonstrates exceptional communication, interpersonal skills and consistent high energy levels, who recognises the importance of people in technology solutions. An experienced leader with a reputation for thought leadership, strategic thinking and with a strong technical background. An analytic problem solver with a strong sense of autonomy, but with an open collaborative approach to getting the job done. Based in Yorkshire, we have grown to become one of the UK's leading online betting and gaming companies. A business driven by bleeding edge technology, that brings the excitement of sports betting, casino games, poker and bingo to over 200,000 customers a day & growing! It's a workplace like no other, with a mission to make Betting & Gaming better. And we want you to be part of it. Our People Ambition is to attract & develop diverse & talented people to meet the current and future growth needs of SB&G. Together, our aim is to create the Best Digital Business.
- Recruit a strong team of top-notch highly motivated software engineers at all levels, manage skills gaps and reduce key man dependencies.
- Develop & motivate those in your team by providing clear direction, opportunities for learning & direct coaching. Pro-actively manage any individual performance problems.
- Define and maintain the best team structures (aligned to a culture of "small autonomous agile teams") to match the current focus of our business.
- Evangelise & prioritise engineering best practice (the "how" of achieving the particular business goal) across all squads so we have a clear direction for improvement.
- Specific examples are that this role is responsible for managing the levels of technical debt, common coding practices, aging code risks, framework & language choice, development build and deployment tooling.
- Be responsible for engineering SDLC adherence against our wider compliance requirements. Make sure we do this in a way that maintains our low-bureaucracy high-trust working environment.
- Ensure that technical expertise in incident management, root cause analysis, post incident decisions and technical oversight of remedial work is carried out.
- Work with Design Leads, Test Managers and other stakeholders to ensure we deliver high quality engineering solutions with the right balance between delivery speed vs operational risk.
- Constantly make our engineering better: the skills and expertise of the team, improving delivery predictability and speed, operational awareness and responsibility.
- Highlight engineering risks and improvement benefits widely around the business to gain traction on making those improvements happen.
- This role is part of a tribe technology leadership team, and has a strong voice in all key technology decisions.
- Work with product, finance, & marketing stakeholders to agree and prioritise the roadmap. Do this in a clear, consistent and transparent way based on appropriate criteria, e.g. business benefit, customer experience impact.
- Work with the architecture team to help define our platform architectural vision to support the roadmap, and mobilise your engineers to take us there.
- Work with the wider tribe leadership to plan and manage deliveries and report against progress toward our vision and objectives.